Saturday, March 28, 2009

Arthur

Many know that I served an LDS mission in Germany from 2004-2005. While I was there, I had the chance to teach a young man by the name of Arthur. He was doing an internship in Germany but was originally from Russia. After teaching him for less than 2 months, he was baptized on August 31, 2005. I looked forward to reuniting with him with the hope that he had remained strong in his new faith. That happened on Thursday and it was glorious. I met him, along with the Kochs who served as a senior couple in Frankfurt during the same time, down in Zions. My former mission companion, Heidi, works with her husband at a resort nearby and we were able to stay in a cabin with a nice discount. It was wonderful to see them all. We were able to ride horses and the ATVs as well. (I watched it all.) Of course, Max loved the horses. That night we looked at mission pictures and Arthur retold his conversion. I couldn't believe how much he remembered, even down to what color the couch was where we taught him at the Outreach Center at church and what it was made from. I asked him how he remembered so many little details, and he told me because it was the best time in his life because it changed him forever. I felt so blessed to be a small part of his conversion. He is an amazing person and continues to build the kingdom in his hometown, Novgorod, where only about 10 people attend the branch each week.

Below: Heidi, H. Koch, Arthur, Max, B. Koch, and Shayla

Brig knows the ropes around Zions so we will have to go
back with him to get the real tour.

The beauty of the earth

More beauty...

Max was caged here while I enjoyed a nice hike in Zions.
I am sure more pictures will follow.

4 comments:

Lois Brown said...

What a fabulous payday for a missionary! Thanks so much for sharing that experience! You are an amazing woman, mother, missionary, friend and wife! Love you, sis. Brown

Lil Gma said...

Shay, hope you keep up with your mission buddies better than I do. I have Liz that I call out of the blue every so often. That is wonderful. Better than that is cute Max. I hope that he gets a brother to be his bosom buddy.

symonie said...

Nina saw the picture of Max in the cage and asked, "Why is he trapped?" She was worried about the sweet little Muffin.
What a great experience to have. Thanks for posting about it!

The Speres said...

Love the pictures! We miss you already, but we're glad you had a fun time! It was great times while you were here! Love ya!