Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Vacation Recap

Hi everybody. Brig here. I'm back in Iraq and have decided to take over blogging duties for Shay for a bit as she is busy with a new semester of school and dealing with the crazy little stud muffin known as, well...Muffin, Maximus, Maxiffin (a conglomerate of Maximus and Muffin, for those that have wondered), Mumble, Bugsy, Maxwell, and Max. I just have a lot of time on my hands right now--about 6 months or so--so I thought I'd help her out with recapping our vacation together.
I got back to the wonderful United States of America on December 12 after a not-so-fun 70 hour journey (lots of delays, etc.).


On the chopper ride to Kuwait. I'm the white guy on the right.

Brig with some Japanese soldiers in Kuwait. Konnichiwa!
I had to get some Christmas goodies in Germany on the way home.

I tricked Shayla into thinking that I would arrive on the the 13th and then surprised here the night of the 12th by renting a car and showing up at the doorstep of her grandparents' home where she was visiting. I don't want to get overly-sentimental, but it was a pleasant reunion--to say the least. It was one of the best feelings I've ever experienced to see and embrace her again. After a bit I got to go wake up Max and reintroduce myself to him. He didn't cry when I woke him--just stared and smiled at me. It was awesome.
The next several days were spent relaxing, eating, playing, shopping, and hanging out with family. Most of the time we just spent time as a little family, and most of that time centered around feeding and playing with Max--both of which are some of my new favorite activities.
On the 17th, my brother Cord and his family (thanks a million) watched Max so Shay and I could get away for a night. We went to a nice bed & breakfast up in the mountains near Park City.

Johnson Mill, our favorite Bed & Breakfast


Remember how I suprised Shay by showing up early? Well, she returned the favor by throwing me a belated surprise birthday party. This was no ordinary surprise party, however, as she got my parents and some of my siblings from out of town to show up along with my siblings in Utah. There were a lot of nieces and nephews running around, as well as Grandpa and Grandma Gilbert and the Moffats, who hosted the party (thanks a million as well!). I was definitely surprised and quite overwhelmed at the outpouring of love I received. I felt like a rockstar. It was a lot of fun to see everyone. One of my favorite parts was that Shayla got pinatas, and one of them was a representation of me--how's that for a welcome home? Here are some pics from the party.

Max with a pinata of Brig that was ultimately destroyed by the Power Ranger skills of cousin Will


Shayla the Surpriser and the kiddos ready to whack the pinatas

Brig with two of his favorites, Natalee and Lily

Grandma Risa with Max and Grandpa Barry with Tevi


Keegan with Butterfly Barry

Princess Max

Well, that sums up this week's installment. I had no idea blogging was so demanding. Hopefully I'll still have a desire to post about the rest of my R&R time. We'll see!

7 comments:

Heidi said...

Right on Brig -- stepping up and taking over blogging. I don't think Cord would do that so I guess you are a better husband. :)

I love all the pictures. We had so much fun seeing you. The kids especially loved the piƱata.

I really laughed when I saw the picture of Barry with those butterfly wings on and Max with the princess hat. Good times!

Strupp Family said...

Fun! Wish we were invited...just kidding. We wouldn't have made the big party anyway--since we're not family, and since we were having a baby :) But Happy Belated Birthday!

Shayla said...

There for a minute I thought someone had stolen my blog identity... I was thinking, "That isn't my post!" I am impressed with your abilities, Brig. I will protect your manhood - don't worry. Thanks, it was fun to have your take on things. Max loved the pictures, he laughed outloud.

P.S. To my brother-in-law Jeremy, Brig is still winning.

Unknown said...

Hey Brig,

WOW. What an amazing post and great re-cap! What kind of Christmas swag did you get hooked up with in Germany? :) I am happy you were able to come home and be with your wife and son (even if it was for only a short time), and have a wonderful Christmas! You are lucky and indeed blessed to have such a wonderful family. That, among others, is what you deserve. You need to teach Max how to play football! That kid is a BEAST!! :) And adorable, too.

Keep sharing your great stories. I highly enjoy them. Keep up the great work and stay safe. I am very, very proud of you.

-ST

The Speres said...

Brig - I have not met you, but I know your wifey pretty well from the mission and she always made excellent decisions, so I figure you must be an outstanding husband and father! Plus your blog entry is wonderful. Your wife is as beautiful as ever, if not more so! We pray for you and all of the men and women serving our country so faithfully! - Heidi (Reichman) Spere

Lil Gma said...

I never cease to be amazed at the talents of my sons in laws. I loved the recap and the pics of my favorite soldier and keeper of freedom.

RV U's said...

It breaks my heart that we couldn't be there. Thanks for giving us a glimpse of the fun!
That Max-chen is too much