Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Wednesday's Thought Goes Public



Brig and I have a private blog and I write him a little spiritual thought throughout the week. It is oft times centered around the conference talk that I read while nursing Max. Today, I read Elder Ballard's words on motherhood. It will be good for my sweet husband but I thought other mothers might also take something from it as well... so my favorite parts are this excerpt and the following quotes. You can read the whole talk on www.lds.org.

Elder Ballard's Conference Talk titled, "Daughters of God"
"As a young father, I learned the demanding role of motherhood. I served as a counselor and then as bishop for a period of 10 years. During that time we were blessed with six of our seven children. Barbara was often worn-out by the time I got home Sunday evening. She tried to explain what it was like to sit on the back row in sacrament meeting with our young family. Then the day came that I was released. After sitting on the stand for 10 years, I was now sitting with my family on the back row.

The ward’s singing mothers’ chorus was providing the music, and I found myself sitting alone with our six children. I have never been so busy in my whole life. I had the hand puppets going on both hands, and that wasn’t working too well. The Cheerios got away from me, and that was embarrassing. The coloring books didn’t seem to entertain as well as they should.

As I struggled with the children through the meeting, I looked up at Barbara, and she was watching me and smiling. I learned for myself to more fully appreciate what all of you dear mothers do so well and so faithfully!"

He went on to say, "It is crucial to focus on our children for the short time we have them with us and to seek, with the help of the Lord, to teach them all we can before they leave our homes. This eternally important work falls to mothers and fathers as equal partners. I am grateful that today many fathers are more involved in the lives of their children. But I believe that the instincts and the intense nurturing involvement of mothers with their children will always be a major key to their well-being. In the words of the proclamation on the family, “Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children”."

He gives us four suggestions on how to make our lives rewarding. They are as follows:
(I have not included his insight into each suggestion - refer to his talk for more detail.)
1. Recognize that the joy of motherhood comes in moments
2. Don’t overschedule yourselves or your children.
3. Find some time for yourself to cultivate your gifts and interests
4. Pray, study, and teach the gospel

I realize day in and day out that motherhood is what I have dreamt about - and these reflections have been refreshing as I have started another semester of school and am in 'learning mode'. Just in the past few days I find myself getting caught up, just like I am sure many of you do, and I picture myself (as a friend of mine put it) 'in New York City wearing sharp business attire without stains and pantyhose without runs dining at a fancy bakery during my 2 hour lunch break.' I think of the "who I could be" with a title behind my name and the respect I would gain in the workforce. Elder Ballard's words are so encouraging and I am once again grateful to be a mom and find joy in motherhood. May we remember that "the family is central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children."

I have always said if I have 'a house full of children who call me Momma, a husband who loves me and writes me a love letter now and again, and a garden with a hammock, my dreams will find their way to true.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

What a great way for you and Brig to connect. I love that you share spiritual thoughts this way. And thanks for sharing it with us too. There are lots of good reminders and suggestions in that talk.

Oh & I hope school has been ok so far!

Lil Gma said...

There are many things that I have not done very well, but I have been the best mom that I know how and the very best wife that I could be. The talk brought tears to me as does the thought that my daughters are tender with their babies.

Pink Caboose said...

Shayla, my name is April and I am from St. Johns. My kids have been learning about September 11th in school and really want to send a soldier a package. I remembered from Lindy's blog that Brigham is serving in the ARMY right now. We would love to get his address and send him somthing, or even his email address. He was friends with my brothers and my mom babysat he and Keegan when they were kids. You can email me at madfamily5@gmail.com Thanks, I hope you and your cute little baby are doing well. Hang in there! ~April

Strupp Family said...

We just had that lesson last Sunday! (Maggie did a great job) and I love your thoughts as well--wish you were still here! How are things? I swear, I'm going to call you one day. :)