Saturday, April 26, 2008

Unsere Geschichte

Just a quick note... (and then I will get some pictures on here for you, Brig!)

I left on Monday for Gillette with Max and my little sister, Josie (who flew to Lawton to travel back with us.) We said good-bye to Brig. (It wasn't pretty but it felt good after the initial tears to finally get it started so the return comes faster.) We stayed the night in Wichita with my grandparents and then arrived late Tuesday night. Max is a great traveler and loves the car. We had a system going, I would feed Max and change him while my sister filled up with gas or went in to get us something to eat. I drove a whooping 2 hours - that is more then I drive when Brig is with us! I am staying with my other little sister, Odessa, her husband, and their little 1 year old boy for a few months before going on to Ohio for a visit with the Waldmanns (my other little sister). BYU accepted me back and I have registered for fall classes in Provo.

We had moved out of our apartment on Wednesday, the 16th. It was a bit stressful because Brig was still working and Max would cry if I put him down. My friend Kim came over and rescued Max and helped us clean so we could get it all done. We have gathered a lot of stuff this past year... I don't want to move every few years!

Brig didn't leave Lawton until early Friday morning. They had problems getting flights due to the airline delays and bankruptcies. It was a bummer that he was there a little while longer and we weren't together but everything worked out. He made a pit stop in Germany before arriving in Kuwait early this morning. He called to let me know he had made it safely. We were able to talk for 7 minutes.

Max responds to voices and if he really likes you, he will giggle. He still wakes up 3 times a night to be fed and is a little porker. My nephew Bridger isn't sure what to think of him. He has this little lisp and calls him - Masks. He is jealous though when Odie is holding him. He doesn't like it when he cries.

We have been going to the rec center in the evenings - and I have cooked a few meals. Yesterday, Lucas and Steph came for the weekend and I made baked chimichangas, Spanish rice, and cheese cake. I was 1 for 3. The rice was hard - and Jeremy said it was good except for the taste and texture! The cheese cake was lumpy. I need some lessons on the rice. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Strupp Family said...

Oh my goodness, I can't tell you how glad I am that you posted!! I always debate on when I can call. I didn't know when you would be driving, and where you would be what days and how much time you got to spend with people, etc. etc. Anyway, suffice it to say I wondered how you were :) I'm glad all is well. I hope Brig is doing good and not missing you two terribly...yet. Give me a call when you get a few minutes. And I think you are a GREAT cook :) Enjoy the family visits and congrats on the BYU thing. It was all the letter from Pres. Adair :)

Heidi said...

Shayla you should use Risa's recipe for rice in the Udall Family Cookbook, it's a good one.

We are glad you and Max arrived safely!