Thursday, April 3, 2008

Proud to be an American...and have a soldier serving our country!

Today was bitter-sweet. I went to a graduation ceremony with Brig, and my cousin Tressa. Brig's cousin, Ben, and Tressa's boy, Tom graduated from Basic Training. It was an inspiring event. I realize that being a soldier is not for any sissy. I was moved by their desires to serve and what they were willing to give up, their personal identity, to join a unit which is truly a band of brothers. I had to give props to Brig - I missed that part of his life (having met him right after he graduated from OCS.) I got a call to repentance, of sorts. We are lucky to be in America and lucky to have willing men and women to fight for our country.

This afternoon, I attended Brig's Deployment ceremony. Brig stood at attention behind his Commander, as the battalion's s4 (the Supply Officer). If Max could talk, he would have said, "There's my daddy!" The prayer that was spoken was beautiful, although it was different than what I am use to. The Chaplain asked for two things - that God would go before their unit as a shield and banner, and that the soldiers would continue to keep their morals and sound judgement. The Brigade Commander spoke of courage and honor and that all would return home having bettered their lives and those whom they love. He asked families to better the communities and thanked the kids for being so brave at home. Brig has worked hard and prepared well for this and I am grateful to know I have such a good husband. I hope I remember these feelings throughout his time over there. I thank my Father in Heaven for the blessings I have.

5 comments:

Lil Gma said...

Thankyou, Brig for being a great man. Thanks for serving our country and especially thanks for taking such good care of Shay and Max. Shayla you are so good.

Fig said...

This post jerked the old heartstrings. Thanks, Shayla, for having such a wonderful, grateful attitude about what must be a trial sometimes.

Brig, thanks for the service! Oh and Tom and Ben too.

Anonymous said...

Hi Shayla-I knew Brigham in college at BYU and he sent me your blog address. I just wanted to tell you that Max is SUCH a cutie. The picture of you guys sleeping together is adorable! I hope everything goes well with Brigham's deployment! I have profound respect for wives who send their husbands and children's daddys off. I hope the time goes quickly. I have a blog also, but it's private because I'm paranoid, but if you are interested send me an email and I'll send you an invite. You can find it under my contact info on my profile. Good luck and blessings with everything ahead!

Vanessa and Raymond said...

Hi Shay! Hi Brig! Hi Max(oh what's that you say Max, you think I am the best Aunt Vanny ever, and you remember my cute smile?)
Hope you all are enjoying your time!

Vanessa and Raymond said...

So I heard on the news this morning that military tours are going to be shortened to 12 months instead of 15. I hope that is true for the Udalls!