Friday, July 3, 2009

Nothing short of a Hero...

Happy 4Th of July!

No nothing is wrong with the lens on the camera, this is

a typical sand storm in Iraq. Brig has filled his lungs

with this stuff day in and day out. He asked me today if

there is a doctor the specializes in scraping the insides of the

respiratory system to clean them of all dust, dirt, and pollution.




It is the 4Th of July in Iraq. Brig will be up soon. As previously mentioned, he is just days away from being back in the US. He packed his bag today and straightened up his living quarters (which is about a 12x6 foot space called a pod.) He walked in the 130 degree weather to take a cold spit bath one last time. (I call it a spit bath because he can only turn the water on when he needs to get wet and then again when to rinse the soap off.) He ate one more midnight meal in the chow hall and then called me to say Good-night. He has worked 12-16 hour days for the past 15 months, with one two-week vacation. He has missed his son eat his first real food, take his first steps, and say his first word. He has done it all to serve his country, and with that, I might add, with very little complaint! I want to show appreciation to my husband for all he has sacrificed for our freedom.


I am mindful that he is not the only one. Many have lost their lives fighting for our freedoms. To those heroes, I say "Thanks!" I hope we never forget what others have done to make our lives what they are. Most importantly, I thank the Lord for the blessing of being an American.

3 comments:

Lindy said...

Nice post, Shayla. And I love the photos...those must be Japanese soldiers (they're probably impressed to find an American who actually speaks Japanese!). The sandstorm one is freaky.

We are so excited for you to have Brig home! Yay!

showlowhall@frontiernet.net said...

Wow sounds like the prisoner of war book I read by John McCain!!!
So glad Brig is coming home.
Give him a hug from Sister Hall,
I was his primary teacher years ago. Michael is my son, got your blog off Zenica's blog.
Happy 4th of July to you too!

TMATR said...

Happy belated Fourth to the Soldier and the Family!

If you happen to find a good respiratory doctor, let us know... After 2 years in China we need the same thing!