Tuesday, August 19, 2008

August Update

Brig

He is hanging in there. He rarely has a negative thing to say despite the monotony of his work and the long hours he puts in. He has kept me up a few late nights talking on the phone and all I do is pray that Max sleeps in a little longer! He lives to see Max on the webcam and in video. He watches some videos at least 50 times. The other night, he told me this... "Guess what, Shaychan? We are down 115 days and only have 113 to go! We are on the downside, isn't that exciting?" I thought about all that has taken place in 115 days and how long that took and about cried at the thought of 113 more. I didn't say too much to ruin his excitement.

He has the opportunity to be an example to those he works with. Many have already gone crazy and come home and some are dealing with serious marriage problems. He has given some soldiers a bit of hope. The morale is very low over there, so anything that could lift his spirits in a crude world would be welcomed. Here are some photos of him:





Shayla

I moved into my little apartment in Provo at the end of July. We have spent our Saturday mornings at local garage sales and shopping on craigslist just to get those things that we need since all of our stuff is still in Lawton. I have made it a place where I feel at home... as close as it will get without Brig. I spent next to nothing on furniture and appliances, but bought some nice frames to hang pictures of our family! We like it here. I have been working on my online classes and just finished one and have one left. I have had my old college buddies over for dinner and my little cousins and nieces over for a girls night. It helps to keep me from feeling too lonely. The ward is great. I have to shut the windows even if the outside air makes us comfortable. A little boy in the ward is named Brigham, and when he is playing outside - his mom calls him several times, and I get a little disappointed! I will be starting a full load on Sept. 2nd. I am both excited and scared. I am excited to get the semester rolling and over with, and scared to have to leave my little Muffin with someone else! I can already tell that Max's first day of kindergarten will be the worst day of my life!

Girls Night Out with Moffats and Udalls




Max

He is now 6 months old and even cuter than ever. I let him cry it out (my sister called it 'Baby Boot Camp') about 2 weeks ago despite him waking up about 5 other kids in our complex and Brig telling me to go get him (because we were talking on the phone and he was not giving me the moral support that I needed - he kept saying, "Poor guy!"). Ever since then, he sleeps great! It has made me a very happy mom. He can entertain himself quite well, at least for 10 minutes at a time. I will let him play on the floor with some toys and within 3 minutes he has rolled from his back to his stomach, and he will start screaming because he can't roll over the other way. Needless to say, he does it over and over and I have to come to his rescue, just like a beetle who flips on its back and is helpless. He is still eating like a champ and grabs the spoon from me so he can feed himself faster. He loves peaches. Bath time has gotten more and more thrilling... with the kicking and splashing. I will leave him in there until the water is cold. He chews on his tongue and flips it all the way over. I am afraid that when he gets teeth, I will look and see a bloody mouth because he has eaten his own tongue! He is such a happy kid - giggling and smiling non-stop. He gets real happy if he sees another face besides mine.





11 comments:

Stella said...

he is darn cute. I love his little checkered shoes. Good luck on his first day of kindergarten. Love ya.

nate & traci said...

Shayla-Hey, it's Traci Summers. How are you?! I didn't know you were living in Provo. I live in Orem...on 8th North. We should get together sometime. Email me when you get a chance. dtjsanford@yahoo.com I would love to hear from you.

Heidi said...

Shayla thanks for the update Brig looks good! And those pictures of Max ohhhh he is just so cute!

PS The girls had a great time with you!

Anonymous said...

That night was AWESOME!!!! Thanks a ton!! I love out picture of us and our "Nerd Specs" haha. :D I posted a bunch of pictures on my blog. You'll have to go check it out.

Max's vans are SOOOOO cute. I am dying. :D

Lil Gma said...

I miss you and Muffin. Sounds like you are busy and happy as always. Brig, I love your uniform. Looks like it could be hot.

The Speres said...

So we missed you when you moved to Provo. It was a hectic week between our Yellowstone trip and coming here to Zions, but now we're here and a tiny bit settled. We are hoping on coming to SLC the weekend of Sept 5th, but I'll let you know for sure if that is going to happen. But between now and November, we'll be home a few times, so I hope to see you at least a few times while you two are in Provo! I need to meet that little tike of yours! So cute! Love ya!

Odessa and Jeremy said...

Bridger and I miss you and muffin! We get lonely during the day and Bridger drives me crazy. At least when you were here Bridger would drive Max crazy! We are going to come visit soon-ok it might be a few months with school and everything! We Love You!
Odessa
By the way the post about Brig and You made me shed a few tears...

Vanessa and Raymond said...

So, I had a pg meltdown yesterday, and then I cried some more when I thought about you. So, don't be sad, I cried enough for everyone. Dang hormones. Max is a ham! Love it!

symonie said...

Such great photos, Shay. I love seeing Brig. Makes me miss him! And I looked through all the reunion pics too. I'm so glad you are a blogger! :) Kiss the fat pup for me. See you soon.

Amanda said...

Shayla! Wow, you all are amazing. Our wonderful husbands! I love that they go out into that world so we don't have to. That alone is heroic. Good luck in school, and way to go for making it happen. Max is the very cutest! What a sweet momma you are.

Unknown said...

Hey Brig! This is your long-lost friend Steve from SJ. I stumbled upon this a while ago and wanted to leave a few comments. Shayla, you are an amazing wife and a great person. You two are perfect! Max is adorable and the M-A-N!! You had better teach that kid how to play football!! The Niners will sure need him. Say #1 draft pick in 2028? :) I am glad you all are well and that Brig, you are OK. I want to say that I am proud of you for your efforts, hard work and eternal spirit. I have always had the greatest respect and admiration for you as a dear friend, and now as a soldier, that is even more. I want to sincerely hank you from the bottom of my heart for defending mine and our freedoms at Home, and for putting yourself in the face of peril to protect others. That is the greatest example of courage and only truly illustrates your character and am forever within your debt. I am truly proud.

Love,
S. Tenney
sdtenney81@gmail.com